North Korea has announced it has successfully tested a miniaturized hydrogen bomb following an “artificial seismic event” that has likely become the country’s fourth known nuclear test.
- Hundreds rally against sexual violence after NYE attacks in CologneProtesters held aloft a sign reading, "Arm Cologne" as up to 500 people rallied against attacks by members of the migrant community during the city's New Year celebrations, and the authorities’ failure to stop the dozens of sexual assaults which took place.
- Germany deploys 4 more jets in Turkey for anti-ISIS surveillance missionGermany has sent four additional Tornado reconnaissance planes to Turkey to support the US-led coalition force in operations against Islamic State. The deployment is expected to be finalized with another two jets arriving next week.
- Yemen center for blind hit by Saudi-led coalition airstrike – localsA center for the blind in Yemen’s capital of Sanaa was hit in an airstrike that was presumably carried out by a Saudi-led coalition targeting Houthi forces, locals told media.
- Emad for it: Iran unveils underground ballistic rocket launch siteThe Islamic Republic has revealed a second launch site of its first-ever guided ballistic missile, Emad. The UN Security Council last month concluded that Emad could carry a nuclear payload, and violates a 2010 resolution.
- God a terrorist? Vatican newspaper slams Charlie Hebdo coverA Vatican newspaper has criticised the latest cover of the French satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo which depicts God as a terrorist carrying a gun, accusing it of hurting believers and “manipulating” faith.
- ISIS vows to destroy Saudi prisons holding terroristsIslamic State has threatened to destroy Saudi Arabian prisons holding extremists, following Riyadh’s decision to execute 47 people last week, among them a Shiite cleric – a situation that escalated into a heated diplomatic standoff with Iran.
- Netanyahu urges govt to avert Palestinian Authority collapse – mediaThe Israeli Prime Minister has reportedly told high-level government officials Tel Aviv must take steps to prevent the collapse of the Palestinian Authority in the West Bank, or prepare for a worst-case scenario, local press reports.
- Twitter planning 10,000-character limit for tweetsTwitter has hinted at plans to expand its character limit from 140 to 10,000. CEO Jack Dorsey tweeted that while the notorious 140-character limit was a “beautiful constraint”, change was being explored to respond to its users’ needs.
- Bird flu death puts Hong Kong border checkpoints on disease lookoutA 26-year-old woman has died in China after being infected with a highly contagious bird flu virus, leading to a heightened alert at border checkpoints with Hong Kong. Another patient in the same province was earlier reported to be in critical condition.
- UN probes alleged CAR child abuse by peacekeepersNew instances of sexual abuse of minors by UN peacekeepers in the Central African Republic were reported by the UN in the latest series of child rape cases to hit the mission in the country.